The "CSI.Hindustani Church" located at the premises of "Vishranthi Nilayam" on Infantry Road Bangalore (within the territorial jurisdiction of the Karnataka Central Diocese of The Church of South India) is the legacy of Mission Work, started by CEZM- the Church of England Zenana Missionary Society more than 160 years ago.
Ministering the Good News of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, to Burka clad Muslim Women in the Cantonment region of Blackpally Bangalore. (Now called Shivaji Nagar). CEZM Missionaries established 'The Zenana Mission Hospital,' 'CEZM Urdu Primary School' and a 'HOME' for converted Muslim Women and children on Infantry Road Bangalore.
Since 1904, spiritual needs, of the inmates and their children, as well as those others, being led to the Christian faith, were met through Fellowship in Worship & Prayer led by the CEZM Missionaries. In March 1934, our Church Building was commissioned for the above task and dedicated to the glory of God as a 'House of Prayer'.
In 1947, after India got her independence from the British and faced the tyranny of partition. Many missionaries withdrew from Indian soil. Consequently Mission Work and properties, of several Churches and its Missions progressively came, to be transferred to The Church of South India (CSI), after its formation and inauguration on the 27th September 1947. Likewise, CEZM Mission Work in Bangalore, (predominantly a Women's Program,) was placed under the control of the Bishop of the Mysore Diocese.
In 1950 the then Bishop of Mysore Diocese, handed over control, of the CEZM Women Program and its properties on Infantry Road Bangalore, to The Synod of the Church of South India, for its use, to accommodate The Head Office of the CSI Women's Order and the CSI Women's Fellowship. Interestingly, the Worshiping Community regularly meeting for Worship, Prayer and Holy Eucharist at our Church Building, remained a part of the Diocese, attached pastorally to 'St Paul's Church' located near the entrance of The Bowring & Lady Curzon Hospitals Bangalore.
In the aftermath of the above changes, our Church unfortunately suffered the casualty of being neglected for a long time. Although extended pastoral care, was provided by the Diocese through successive Presbyters of St Paul's Church., namely Rev Logapathi, Rev Pramanand,Rev Jacob ect.,
Meanwhile, in the changed circumstances, Church services held in Urdu and Roman Urdu, receded to the background in the absence of any fresh impetus for mission work, among the Muslim population. In consequence, the very existence of our Church, as a separate/independent place of 'Worship', became questionable! By the reasoning, that our building was just a 'Meeting Hall.' The building annexed to our Church, though occupied as a Parsonage, by Mr. Preetam Singh (Evangelist) and later Rev F.S.Macwana Presbyter, was also retrieved from our possession. A further partial ban, on the right of entry, into the campus, resulted in numerous pin pricks and hurdles. However, these matters finally culminated in the appointment of Two Diocesan Commissions that resulted in the maintenance of 'status quo', to perpetuate an uneasy truce, for unhindered worship.
In spite of such difficult times, our Church has survived, with the continued attendance and prayers, of a few faithful believers, living through the ordeal, for well over the last 70 odd years. Today, we celebrate the Platinum Jubilee of our Church building (1934-2008), gratefully acknowledging and glorifying God bountiful Grace and Mercy in raising our small worshipping Community of yester years, into its present stature a vibrant and lively congregation reaching out, to a varied section of people, from the North, West, East & Central parts of India.
While the Urdu/Roman Urdu Services are now conducted in the national language (Hindi). The contemporary context potentially constitutes a window of opportunity for mission & outreach to the REST OF INDIA, in the City of Bangalore. The lack of sufficient facilities & resources, for pastoral care, and spiritual nurture, of Hindi speaking people, especially IT Professionals migrating into the City of Bangalore every day. Many of whom (coming from backgrounds, affirming the Christian faith) are left wanting, unchurched and likely to become dechurched without good Christian fellowship.